Mark Sisson’s Bio: Health and fitness expert Mark Sisson is the bestselling author of The Primal Blueprint and one of the leading voices of the burgeoning Evolutionary Health Movement. His blog, MarksDailyApple.com, has paved the way for Primal enthusiasts to challenge conventional wisdom’s diet and exercise principles and take personal responsibility for their health and well-being. From its humble – and controversial – beginnings in 2006, Mark’s Daily Apple has grown into one of the highest-ranked health information resources on the Internet, with 1.6 million unique visitors each month. Mark has a BA in biology from Williams College and is a former world-class endurance athlete, with a 2:18 marathon and a fourth-place finish in the Hawaii Ironman World Triathlon Championships. Today, Mark directs his competitive energies into high-stakes Ultimate Frisbee tournaments against competitors decades younger! Besides blogging daily, Mark conducts seminars on the Primal Blueprint way of life across North America and hosts weekend “PrimalCon” retreats in California. He is the founder of Primal Nutrition, Inc., a company devoted to health education and designing state-of-the-art supplements that address the challenges of living in the modern world. He is also the leader of Primal Blueprint Publishing, which publishes Primal Blueprint titles along with books by other top health authors. He operates out of Malibu, California where he lives with his wife Carrie, with whom he has two children.
Topics discussed in this episode:
– Mark talks about how 80% of your body composition comes from what you’re putting in your body.
– How to teach your body to learn to burn fat and not sugar.
– Basics of the Primal Blueprint lifestyle.
– How getting physical activity, additional sleep, and making time for being in the sun are vital to overall health.
– It’s all about making choices from a position of knowledge.
– Mark is about providing options that are based on science and research.
– The pale approach to illuminating sugar, grains, and industrial oils (soy, corn, etc).
– Primal Blueprint recommends a diet rich in healthy fats and focusing in eliminates processed carbohydrates.
– Mark’s opinion on shakes, protein bars, etc.
– Shake Guidelines: look for a shakes with no fructose, no soy, no casein.
– Where the villianized approach to fat came from.
– Get your body good at burning fat.
– Marks opinion on intermittent fasting.
– How to handle a social engagement while following the Primal Blueprint lifestyle.
Links in this episode:
– Mark’s blog: www.Marksdailyapple.com
– Mark’s website for Primal Blueprint: www.Primalblueprint.com
– Primal Blueprint Certification: http://www.primalblueprint.com/get-certified
1:00 Chalene talks about Mark’s story
2:30 how our gene’s regenerate
4:00 what’s turning on the genes that store fat
5:58 I spent most of my life struggling as an endurance athlete
6:40 80% of your body composition is determined by how you eat
8:00 Mark’s workout routine
10:12 Basics of Primal Blueprint: eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and animals — stay away from poisons (ingredients you don’t know and aren’t a whole food) — make time to move your body frequently at low intensity
11:15 Mark’s position on HIIT Training — lift heavy things
12:50 get adequate sleep
13:35 spend time in the sun, it’s a part of living a healthy lifestyle
15:20 knowledge is power
15:52 life is about choices
17:00 what can I eat on the Primal Blueprint diet
17:20 we don’t count calories
18:10 rich in healthy fats
20:00 this is why I’ve had the body I have for 40 plus years
23:16 people are not conscious of the “Bad” foods they are intaking
23:48 Mark’s opinion on supplementation
24:30 how do you know you’re eating a “good” shake
25:40 as a woman we read labels and automatically go to the fat content – why is there such a bad stigma around fat
26:30 it has long been disproven that fat causes heart disease
27:15 fat is your friend
29:30 Mark’s opinion on intermittent fasting
30:40 if you’re not hungry don’t eat
32:05 eating in a condensed window
32:45 ketone’s and how they metabolize fat
33:40 how do you handle social situations on the primal blueprint diet
34:30 its easier to make change when you understand why and how
35:20 how to find the online program for primal blueprint
36:50 it’s been an honor having you on the show