We go to the doctor once a year and we go to the dentist twice a year, all to make sure our body is healthy. Why don’t we do this for our brain? In this episode I talk to my friend Dr. Mcayla about different forms of therapy in hopes of diminishing any uncertainties towards going. There is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to going to therapy. Our brains need a check up just like the rest of the body. I hope this open discussion with Dr. Mcayla will help you feel more confident about maybe setting up a therapy session for yourself. So many people view therapy as a bad thing, or think that they’ll need to go for years and years, and this is incorrect. Sometimes all you need is a quick tune up with a therapist to get your mind back on track!
Topics discussed in this episode:
Most common types of therapy
1. Talk therapy, or also known as cognitive behavioral therapy, is where your going to talk about what’s going, your past, talk through the process, you go back and forth with the therapist. You’re inevitably just talking about the problem and how to solve the problem.
3. Neuro feedback is when therapists look at the brain from a brain spec scan as a diagnostic tool.
4. EMDR stands for eye movement desensitization and re-processing. The therapist will work to desensitize the belief then replace that thought with a new thought.
Dr. Mcayla’s specialty is EMDR, so in this episode she specifically discusses:
– How EMDR uses bilateral eye movements to tap into the hippocampus part of the brain to bring out feelings.
– What to expect from an EMDR session
– How EMDR was discovered
– How to find a good EMDR therapist? Head to EMDR.com (link below), and make sure you find someone who specializes in EMDR.
– TIP: Make sure to ask the therapist if they practice EMDR regularly and trust your instincts in regards to your overall comfort level with the therapist.
– TIP: Ask your therapist to explain how EMDR works.
Links from this episode:
Dr. Mcayla’s website: http://drmcayla.com
Dr. Mcayla’s Program: http://vrtbumtu.megaph.com
Dr. Mcayla’s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DrMcayla/timeline?ref=page_internal
EMDR Website: www.emdr.com
0:50 your brain is the most important piece of this
2:00 this is part 2 of Dr. Mcayla and Chalene’s interview
3:20 interview begins
4:15 Chalene brought Dr. Mcayla on so that they could have an open conversation about therapy
5:00 Dr. Mcayla talks about general types of therapy
5:37 Dr. Mcayla explains talk therapy
6:28 discussion about hypnosis
7:54 what is EMDR?
9:28 how EMDR deals with the subconscious part of the brain
10:45 how EMDR has effected Chalene
11:50 how EMDR uses eye movement to tap into the subconscious
13:10 eye movement and it’s distraction to the frontal cortex
14:15 Chalene’s experience during an EMDR session
16:00 Dr. Mcayla’s explanation of what occurs during an EMDR session
17:08 the more knowledge you have, the more you understand why the therapist is doing what they’re doing
17:58 how EMDR was discovered
19:10 why Dr. Mcayla loves EMDR therapy
19:14 where you can find out about the unstuck program
20:30 how to tell if a physician is a good fit for you
21:20 target sequencing
22:30 what to ask the therapist
24:30 ask the doctor to explain EMDR to you
26:15 why Chalene is so passionate about therapy