In prior episodes, I’ve covered the topic of eating disorders — from orthorexia to my personal struggles with diet and nutrition. But today’s show is all about red flags for you, the listener. You’ll learn the signs to look out for that may suggest you’re developing an eating disorder (for the first time) or slipping back into the grips of one.
You’ll find out:
- Why we, as a culture, are often unable to recognize symptoms of disordered eating
- How much your thinking should be about food / weight
- Why / when lying about your diet becomes a problem
- When the joy / empowerment you feel around food is a bad thing
- Why behaviors associated with eating disorders (often) don’t have much to do with your weight
- How I used to convince myself that my unhealthy fitness / diet behaviors were okay
- How social media can play a negative role in one’s body image
- Why it’s imperative to consider whether or not you use food as a coping mechanism
- When it’s time to reach out to someone you trust
- Why / how it’s possible to be free from the struggle of eating disorders
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Work with Dr. Mcayla by going to: drmcayla.com/consultations/
Follow Dr. Mcayla on Instagram @drmcayla
If you feel you have an eating disorder, learn more and how to get help by going to: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
Other Episodes on the topic of Eating Disorders
- Understanding Eating Disorders Treatment Triggers and Trauma – 454
- One Listener’s Eating Disorder and Orthorexia and The Role my Workouts Played | Carsmart Edition – 444
- A Mother/Daughter Chat about Confidence, Therapy, Body Image, and Labels – 405
- Is Your Health Obsession Unhealthy? | Warning Signs of Orthorexia and Hypothalamic Amenorrhea – 400
Leave me a message about this episode!