Last week, I did an episode on gender identity and sexual orientation. I spoke about the general terms, pronouns and other basic things we should understand. I was overwhelmed by all the messages I received from parents with first-hand experience — when it comes to raising and supporting children/young adults dealing with the conflict between their assigned gender and the gender with which they identify. Today, I’ll share with you some of those messages.
You’ll find out:
- What is transitioning socially
- Why it’s crucial to have empathy for all those going through this journey – parent & child
- What is non-binary
- A recent study on Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria (and why it’s controversial)
- Major questions many parents (of kids struggling with their sexual/gender identity) have
- Thoughts/advice on this subject from Dr. Mcayla Sarno
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
- The Trevor Project
- Transgender Children & Youth: Understanding the Basics – HRC
- How Parents Can Support Their Transgender Teens
- Transgender Teens & Depression | Getting Help
- A Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth
- What Is Gender Dysphoria? – American Psychiatric Association
- Gender dysphoria & identity: kids & teens
- Transgender Kids and Gender Dysphoria – Child Mind Institute
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #737 – Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation for Dummies
Leave me a message about this episode!