In a past episode, Bret and I shared with you our recent journey with Bret’s dad and Alzheimer’s. Today, you’ll hear a very candid conversation on how things have changed within the last 6 months — including, Bret’s dad’s health and how we, as a family, are dealing with all the changes.
You’ll find out:
- Details on Bob’s (Bret’s dad) character / traits before Alzheimer’s and his role in family life
- How different family members have been affected by Bob’s Alzheimer’s progression
- Why Bob isn’t talking at this time
- What is a loop in Bob’s brain
- Why it’s very normal to have a degree of resentment with a family member’s declining health
- What Bret regrets and finds to be the saddest part about his father’s role in the family — moving forward
- What Bret’s mom currently resents re: her husband’s condition
- Why Bret won’t travel right now
- Where Bret and I are focusing our attention at this time
- Sources of comedic relief our family has relied on
- The ONE thing that helped Bret’s emotional struggles
- The importance of holding onto compassion when you find yourself frustrated with a sick family member
- How to respond to someone on a brain loop the right way
- How we approached the subject of taking Bob’s driver’s license away
- The creative lie we told Bob about his wife’s whereabouts and why
- Why you shouldn’t force your beliefs (about care-taking) onto other family members
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #520 – Caring For Aging Parents
Leave me a message about this episode!