The latest science on supplements to ensure you’re making an informed decision
There was a period of time where I didn’t eat much real food because I was so consumed with making sure I was drinking whatever shake was popular at the time. And then, of course, the pre-workout drink. And then the post-workout drink. And then making sure I had enough amino acids. Obv. And then I had to fit in all of my required protein bars. And, whoops, couldn’t forget to take my additional supplements and pills for this and for that. And what about those fat burners?! Oh my!
Looking back, it’s a bit scary to think how much pre-packaged stuff I was consuming that had nothing to do with real food. I seriously lost my food common sense! I didn’t even know what was healthy anymore. All I knew was that the people who looked ripped and fit were showing off these products all the time. That’s what THEY were drinking and eating. Therefore, I believed, that must be what my diet was missing.
It was during that period of time I was the most lost in my role as a health and fitness leader. Until, one day, I was forced to wake up and get smart!
In today’s episode of The Chalene Show, we’re talking protein shakes/bars/cookies/snacks, supplements, pre-workouts, post-workouts, powders, and all the other stuff that we’re supposed to be taking to be healthy. And so much more!
You’ll also find…
- Why I never promoted supplemental products back in the day (even when they were my life)
- Why all supplements are NOT created equal
- How the quality of ingredients varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer
- Why what’s right for one person might not be right for another
- How, for many, the selling, promotion, and consumption of these products might be their sole source of income
- The importance of striking a balance between eating things that are marketed to us as healthy (which are clearly processed) and eating whole, natural, unprocessed foods — AKA real food
- When, if ever, you should drink a shake or take a supplement that’s been marketed as healthy?
- The latest science on shakes you’ll find at GNC or the local vitamin shops — including those which are being marketed to you buy reputable network marketing organizations
- If I currently drink protein shakes, pre / post workout supplements, and BCAAs
- Why you must listen to your body
- The process behind the making of protein powders
- Why you might have an insensitivity to protein powders (and its side-effects)
- How/why inflammation stalls weight loss
- If protein shakes, protein cookies, protein bars are allowed in the 131 Method
Important Links from the Show
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #288 – Stop Craving Carbs Sugar and Junk food Naturally