Everyone and their brother has a podcast today. So, how do you stand out? And how might you monetize your podcast (other than paid sponsors)? Answer: Subscription-based platforms that make it easy to get paid! Cue, Patreon! Today, I welcome Lauren Wrighton, podcast management expert. We’ll discuss all things Patreon (and other membership-based platforms), like: who they’re for, what you should have in place before launching, and so much more!
You’ll find out:
- How Patreon got started (re: their intent)
- Why I have considered starting a Patreon
- Other options similar to Patreon
- What exactly is a paid subscription through sites like Patreon
- Examples of podcasters who are exclusively on Patreon
- What’s considered a high fee for a Patreon monthly subscription
- The lowest price point you should consider as your fee (for members) on Patreon
- One of the major differences between Apple and Patreon re: the percentage they take from creators, podcasters, etc.
- Perks that Patreon / Apple provide when using their services
- Lauren’s thoughts on what makes an enticing Patreon offer to your subscribers
- What are tiers on Patreon and how many should you offer (and can you have too many)?
- How one is able to get paid-for podcasts along with their everyday free podcasts
- Why Spotify won’t allow aspects of Patreon
- Why Lauren recommends listeners use the Patreon app
- What podcasters need to do before they launch their Patreon
- How Patreon is community building
- How much a creator needs to pour into their Patreon community
- What you need to have set up (for payments and such) to start up a Patreon
- How to handle when a percentage of your audience is less than enthusiastic re: you starting a Patreon
- How does one promote their Patreon?
- Can you block people from joining your Patreon?
- Recommendations for new podcasters to boost their numbers
- Who should consider being a podcast manager
Important Links from the Show
Make sure you scroll down, tap to rate with 5 stars, and then select, “Write a Review.” Then be sure to DM me with a screenshot and I’ll do my best to read your review on the air!
Subscribe to Lauren’s Podcast, The Podcast Manager Show
Follow Lauren on Instagram @laurenwrighton
Check out InstaClubHub! The ONLY All-In-One Instagram Resource Community Designed To… Grow Your Following and Reach More Customers on Instagram™ (All in Just Five Minutes a Day!)
If you liked this episode, check out Episode #546 – My Personal Launch Checklist