This time of year is great for avocados! Their silky texture and incredible flavor make them hard not to love. They have amazing health benefits and are actually considered one of the healthiest foods on the planet because they contain 25 essential nutrients, fiber, protein, and phytochemicals that help to protect your body against disease. Avocados are a great addition to any salad, on top of a grilled chicken breast, in place of mayo in tuna, or delicious just on its own with some salt and pepper! Check out the health benefits of avocado below…
- Maintaining heart health
- Help to lower “bad” cholesterol levels
- Fight against free radicals in the body
- Anti-aging properties… hello!
- Helps the fight against prostate cancer and breast cancer
- High levels of folate make it a great snack for women who are pregnant
- Anti-inflammatory properties
1 cup raw, sliced
- Total fat 21 g (primarily monounsaturated)
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 10 mg
- Potassium 708 mg
- Carbohydrate 12 g
- Protein 3 g
Avocado is high in fat, which makes it pretty caloric, so watch your portion size. We love healthy fat! It’s just portions we gotta watch!
Not a huge avocado fan? Try avocado oil to get some of the same great benefits! You can cook with it and use it to make some amazing salad dressings.
What do you put avocado on? Share below!!