Here is another GREAT Team Johnson featured recipe!
This grilled veggie salad is so good that your kids won’t mind getting their daily dose of vegetables! Make a large batch once a week then portion it out: 1 cooked cup with 4 ounces of grilled chicken for lunches.
Grilled Veggetabvle SaladIngredients:
- 1 whole red, orange, yellow AND green bell pepper
- 1 bunch of skinny green asparagus
- 2 large zucchinis
- Medium sweet onion
- about 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons of dried basil
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, get the brown rice cooking. It will take about 45 to 60 minutes. Follow the cooking instructions on the package. A quicker alternative is to use frozen brown rice which typically takes about 3 minutes to cook in the microwave.
- Second, cut the bell peppers into large pieces; large enough that they don’t fall through the cracks of the grill. Sliced the onion into rounds, like an onion ring. Sliced the zucchini into rounds about 1 inch thick. Keep the asparagus whole, just trim the bottoms off.
- Toss all of these vegetables into a bowl with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, dried herbs, and salt/pepper to taste. Remember you can always add more salt and pepper later, but you can’t take it out. Once you’ve tossed the veggies in the oil and herbs, throw them on the grill. The peppers and onions will take the longest, so throw those on first. The asparagus will cook fairly quickly, so keep an eye on them. Remember to flip all the veggies and cook both sides. The peppers have a tendency to release a lot of liquid and can cause the grill to flame up, so keep an eye on them.
- Once the veggies are grilled on both sides, chop them up into small bite size pieces.
- Take 1 cup of frozen corn and add it to a large bowl. Pour the cooked brown rice over top and allow the corn to defrost. Then toss the chopped grilled veggies into the large bowl and mix everything together. Check to see if additional salt and pepper is needed.
Your grilled veggie salad is all done and ready to be portioned out for the week!
Do you want more great recipes to keep your health on track? Check out the 131 Method blog!